It’s that time of year when elderflowers are beginning to show themselves, so I thought it would be perfect to post a recipe for one of my favourites…elderflower cordial.
I used this recipe last year to make my first ever homemade cordial, which was delicious and extremely self satisfying to make. The recipe will make approx 3 litres (5 pints) of cordial…plenty to see you through the rest of the year.
Here’s what you’ll need:
30 elderflower heads
6 pints (approx 3 litres) of boiling water
900g of caster sugar
50g of citric acid (you’ll find this at any local chemist)
1 unwaxed lemon
2 unwaxed lime
- Gently rinse the elderflowers…this will remove any dirt and little critters!
- Using a very large bowl, carefully pour the boiling water over the caster sugar. Stir the mixture well and leave it to cool.
- Add the citric acid, sliced lemon and limes and finally the elderflowers.
- Leave the mixture to cool in a safe place for approx 24 hrs, stirring occasionally.
- The final step is to strain the mixture through muslin. Once this is done the mixture is ready to be bottled (bottles should be new and ideally sterilized). What I love about the cordial is that it keeps well and it also makes a great gift presented in a bottle with a tag. The cordial will keep for months and even longer if you freeze it (if you decide to freeze some, make sure that it’s in a plastic container or bottle).
Elderflower cordial is just one of the many inspiring recipes featured in the fabulousplaces.co.uk etc. magazine. Click here to get your copy of the 2011 Derbyshire guide.
Great news…the etc magazine is now available for you to purchase! 74 pages of all things fabulous in Derbyshire…food, places, things to do, makers and much more!
The magazine is available to purchase online at fabulousplaces.co.uk (£3.50 delivered) or at the following places:
The Bottlekiln, West Hallam
The Loaf, Crich
Studio 61, Holloway
Hassop Station, Bakewell
More places to follow soon!
If you are interested in stocking fabulousplaces.co.uk please get in touch!
I am very happy to let you know about a new publication from fabulousplaces.co.uk…the etc. guide will be a magazine style guide reflecting everything the website offers and some extra fabulous bits too! The first issue will focus on Derbyshire and will be something you can proudly keep on your coffee table or take out and about with you throughout the year.
I am thrilled to be working on the magazine with a good friend, Claire Sutton. Claire is a fab home cook, a talented photographer and shares many of the interests I have too, so the collaboration was an easy decision. Claire runs a blog called Things We Make and some of Claire’s recipes have featured on the fabulousplaces.co.uk blog over the last 12 months.
We’re very excited about the publication…if you love the places, makers and services featured on fabulousplaces.co.uk, great food and Derbyshire then I’m sure you’ll love flicking through the magazine. We’ve had such fun over the last 8 months…photo shoots, baking, eating, visiting talented makers and much more…our aim is for the magazine to have a real feel good appearance and reflect our passions for food, Derbyshire, great photography, local makers and artisans.
You can follow the etc guide on twitter where we’ll keep you up to date with the latest news and also let you know when it’s available. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch…we would love to hear your thoughts!